Dr. Cabri is one of the world's foremost experts in PGE mineralogy with expertise in precious-metal mineralogy and base metals. Dr. Cabri's experience includes 35 years with the Canada Centre for Mineral and Energy Technology, where he was the Principal Scientist from 1996 to 1999. A distinguished lecturer and researcher, Dr. Cabri has acted as chairman or president for a number of national and international geological and mineralogical associations and has chaired or co-chaired numerous technical meetings, nationally and internationally. Dr. Cabri has served as a consultant to industry, government organizations and universities in Canada and abroad, independently since 1999, incorporated in 2004 and a principal of CNT-Mineral Consulting Inc. since 2005.
President and a director of newly incorporated CNT Mineral Consulting Inc. in 2005
- Development and sales of mineral separation technology and specialized process mineralogical consultants.
Consultant (since 1985, independent since 1999, incorporated as Cabri Consulting Inc. in 2004)
- Clients include junior and major mining companies, North American and overseas geological surveys and research centres. As an independent consultant, clients include Anglo American Platinum Corporation, Barrick Gold Corporation, Bureau de recherches géologiques et miniéres (BRGM), Canadian Royalties Inc., Cominco Ltd. (now Teck-Cominco), Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (CVRD), CYTEC Industries Inc., Falconbridge Limited, Freewest Resources Canada Inc., Geological Survey of Finland, Gipronickel JS, Goldstream Mining NL, Impala Platinum Limited, Ivanhoe Mines Ltd., Lehman Exploration Management Inc., Mustang Minerals Corp., New Brunswick Geological Survey, North American Tungsten Corp Ltd., Placer Dome Technical Services Limited, SGS Lakefield Research Limited, Skaergaard Minerals Corp., Sparton Resources-Freewest Canada Inc. JV, Teck Corporation, Votorantim Metais, and the United States Geological Survey.
Watts, Griffis and McOuat Limited (since 2001)
- Dr. Cabri joined WGM’s PGE team in 2001 as a Senior Associate Mineralogist.
Memorial University of Newfoundland, Department of Earth Sciences and INCO Innovation Centre, Adjunct Professor (2001-2006)
- Dr. Cabri’s current research projects include development of LAM-ICP-MS methodology for PGE analysis at Memorial University of Newfoundland, where he is an Adjunct Professor, and has been involved in the characterization of several new mineral species
Canada Centre for Mineral and Energy Technology (CANMET) — Emeritus Research Scientist (1999-2004)
- He has also worked on novel mineral concentration technologies, including the new technique of hydroseparation, which has been applied to many process and exploration projects.
University of Guelph — Adjunct Professor (1999-2004)
- Senior co-applicant on a successful one million dollar CFI grant to construct a new state of the art proton microprobe facility.
- As Principal Scientist from 1996 to 1999, Dr. Cabri was responsible for the quality of scientific and industrial research in Applied Mineralogy and for advising the management at CANMET.
- From 1994 to 1996, he held the position of Project Manager on a $1.27 million Applied Mineralogy Program responsible for research and industrial contracts.
- Dr. Cabri’s research projects have included ore mineralogy and quantitative characterization of ores and process products for exploration, mineral processing, metallurgical and environmental applications. He has spent the last 18 years investigating and developing trace-element analytical techniques such as Micro-PIXE, TOF-LIMS, SIMS, LAM-ICPMS and applying these to solving industrial and scientific problems.
- Selwyn Blaylock Medal, Canadian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy (2004)
- P.Geo. - Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario (2002)
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (2001)
- Past Presidents’ Medal, Mineralogical Association of Canada (1993)
- Leonard G. Berry Medal, Mineralogical Association of Canada (1993)
- CANMET Business Development Award (1993)
- Scientific Editor, The Canadian Mineralogist (1975-1982)
- Honorary Life Member, Past-Chairman, Past-President, Former Committee and Council Member — Mineralogical Association of Canada
- Fellow, Former Committee Member — Mineralogical Society of America
- Member, Past-Chairman — Canadian Institute of Mining & Metallurgy
- Member, Former Committee Member — Society of Economic Geologists
- Member, Past Chairman — International Mineralogical Association
- Past-Committee Chairman — Process Mineralogy Committees of The Society for Mining Engineers and TMS.
Dr. Cabri is the author of over 170 published papers and was editor and principal contributor to CIM Special Volume 54, The Geology, Geochemistry, Mineralogy, and Mineral Beneficiation of the Platinum-Group Elements (2002). He was a Co-Editor of Analytical Technology in the Mineral Industries, Proceeding TMS Annual meeting (1999, 281p) and of Modern Approaches to Ore and Environmental Mineralogy, (Vol. 27, MAC short Course Series, 1998, 421p). Editor and principal contributor to CIM Special Volume 23, Platinum-Group Elements: Mineralogy, Geology, Recovery (1981) and has also presented papers at numerous seminars, short courses, workshops and as invited lectures worldwide.
Ph.D. — McGill University (1965); M.Sc. (Appld) — McGill University (1961)
B.Sc. (Geology — Honours) — University of the Witwatersrand (1955)
B.Sc. (Geology and Chemistry) — University of the Witwatersrand (1954)